Yes, I'm ranting ON. Simply because I don't want to start a comment war on my sister's Facebook status.
So, the Alabama/Floriday SEC Championship game was on Saturday. Football is huge in the South of course. Add in that Alabama lacks any professional teams, people get crazy.
Alabama won. Tim Tebow, the QB for Florida, was shown crying on the sidelines. So, the jokes have been flying.
What's been bothering me is the whole religous aspect being thrown around. I try very hard to be open and understanding, but for crying out loud (haha I made a funny), it's a GAME. A sport, college football. Yes, I feel for him because it's your senior year, undefeated, championship, yadda yadda. Who wouldn't? I'm sure crying won't make a difference when he gets NFL teams throwing themselves at him.
He likes to put Bible versus on his black stripes under his eyes. Most are Jesus related, good for him to believe. However, this last game was John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
I'm sure it can be assumed to be innocent, but I do feel there is a bit of arrogance to it. It bothers me a bit that college players will get slammed left and right and punished for advertising ANYTHING. Celebration? Trouble. However, they can advertise whatever on the eye blacks? I mean, Go Team Go sure. I just feel the strongest and most faithful don't have to wear their religion on their sleeve (or as a friend pointed out, on your face).
So what happened on FB? My sister is a huge Alabama fan and made a status about Tebow being a crybaby. I was joking and said the verse didn't help him. One of her friends slammed me and said "That's a little harsh. God is with those who believe whether they win or lose a ballgame!"
Okay first off, it's not harsh and it's okay to call him a fag, a crybaby, other words? I can't speak for all Christian sects, but isn't God with EVERYONE regardless of whether they believe or not? Why do players NEVER thank God when they lose a game? Divine intervention for a sport? Come on people, there are more important things to deal with in this world than a sports event. I find them fun, entertaining, you name it. However, I just can't wrap my head around it being a religious experience of any sorts. If a player gets hurt and recovers, definitely, a miracle, definitely, thank a higher power. BOTH sides feel God is behind them, doesn't that cancel it out?
Perhaps he didn't mean for it to be egotistical, but it certainly can be perceived that way. Perhaps he was trying to proselytize. I just feel actions, not a football game loss or win or who your root for, is a stronger way to show people the strength of your faith. Just because he has a verse on his face doesn't mean he's automatically a great Christian.
So the woman posted a few other not quite as nice things to me suggesting I find Jesus and God. Almost makes me want to root for the Longhorns. Almost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment