I seriously looked at that and rolled my eyes. Seriously? Then I saw my friend's little girl in it, and I became intrigued.
My middle son was a baby, and I received one for a baby shower that was sweetly thrown for me.
First off, it's not a hard plastic like it appears. I'd say it's firm, but it still has a squeezable foam feel to it. It pleasantly surprised me. I had one of those vibrating bouncy chairs, and Liam was SO colicky, yet he enjoyed it. I would sit him in it in the bathroom with me so I could take a bath. I'd take it out when we'd go to restaurants in lieu of their highchairs since most of the time, we'd sit in a booth style table. Yes, there was a what I like to call "common sense" recall. Pretty much don't be an idiot and place the baby on a countertop in this and walk away.
Retail price is $30-35. There's a tray you can get which runs about $10. However, I would NOT buy this full retail price. When I thought I was done with children and sold some old baby items, I did sell my Bumbo. However, number 3 came along and I wanted to get another one. Craigslist is the way to go! I paid $15 for it. Of course, watch out. People on CL will be selling other types of seats claiming it's a Bumbo just to try to weasle a sale. Another positive is they are wipeable and easy to keep clean.
Downside? Well, if you have sumo babies like I do, their little thighs get to a point they look squished in it. Also, if you have a particularly adventurous baby, they can get creative and try to figure ways to tip it over. I wouldn't say it's easily tippable, but once they get to a mobile age, it does become easier for them to do so. Thus, the common sense warning of course. Don't put them up high, if they do manage to sneak out of it, it won't be bad. Also, if you have the obstinate 3 year old, he will also try to sit in it when he can to watch TV. His thighs have clearly slimmed up some to be able to enjoy sitting in it.
It also is great for picture taking! Gather the kids up, not have to worry about whether the baby is falling out of brother's arms and such.
Bottom line: Goofy ass name, neat product. Not on the essentials list, but a nice addition. Buy used!
When Liam was a baby, made Christmas pictures a snap!:

Aiden modelling a blue Bumbo:

And the WTF MATE face:


No comments:
Post a Comment