Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Good intentions

If anything of having more than one kid has taught me is to learn what you can on various issues...
And toss it all out the door when you try to apply it to another kid!

I mean, I shouldn't complain. Liam is doing fantabulous (yes I can use made up words, lots o' famous people do like Shakespeare!) with potty training.

However, it goes contrary to anything I did with Logan and most of the consensus and my own logic!

With Logan? Tommy was deployed at the time. I had listened to the well meaning ne'er do wells saying he was well past the age at 2 1/2 to be fully potty trained. Look at my kid, he's doing calculus and speaking dead languages, what about yours? Yeah, I had thought only men had peeing contests! Well, won't you know, trying to do the naked, weekend, all that jazz FAILED. Epicly failed. He bucked it so bad, in sheer exasperation I gave up. Even the ped at the time made a comment at his 3 year checkup that he was old enough (course this is the same women who must have thought I was anti-speech therapy for no reason). What do you know? Logan, and seriously not exaggerating, woke up one day BAM potty trained on his own terms. That's not saying he didn't have public/bedtime accidents here and there, but it wasn't anything bad.

Liam. Obstinate and fierce to the core. Bowel movements are NOT excluded. Now, he turned 3 in September. I had bought pullups, he had all the signs, but I just lacked the energy with having Aiden to deal with it. Bad, I know, but my sanity wasn't worth the fight. I tried to let him on his own terms, ugh, you get tired of poop. And it wasn't just that. He would seriously constipate (yeah, I'm talking feces talk, I'm a mom, sue me) himself to avoid it! I'm talking bad here, like days he wouldn't go, then a day of whining and crying. Prune juice worked, but then you'd have to deal with diarrhea on top of it.

I did something that goes against all logical and professional advice. I made an issue of it. I still get the MOMMYGUILTRAWR moments. I was going through Pullups left and right and those things ain't cheap honey. My mom had always talked about the cloth trainers, but they're so hard to find. And in 4T sizes? Good luck. I just gave in and bought 3T, why not.

One day he pooped his pants. Heavens, that is SO much nastier in a non-side pull apart diaper or pullup. And I have a steel stomach and it just got to me. In my not so proud moment, I had enough. I took him screaming and wailing NoooOOOOOoooOO and plopped him backwards (cause I have this weird ick factor on kid potties) on the toilet and made him sit there for a good ten mintues while I scrubbed my hands and cooled off.

It took a couple tries of those, but once it clicked some toilet monster wasn't going to reach up and take him to the bowels of poopville, he started to get excited. Of course the shipoff salute to it made his day. Purely by accident and constipation got him over that fear and hump. I hated I snapped and pushed it, but he's doing great now with it. He still has his accidents here and there, but at least with the training pants he feels he's wet but doesn't shower the floor.

Sometimes he and Logan can be polar opposites when it comes to things. It makes me wonder how Aiden will fit into the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of my sasquatch babies, from his 2 month appointment to his 4 month one on Monday, he has grown 4 inches and gained 5 lbs. He's been my food stalker when I eat as of late as well. I guess that's one way to lose weight, ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment